Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Life's purpose

All of my life I have been use to serving...that's the life of a Pastor's daughter I'm told...and that is exactly who I am. So when you grow up and leave the house you have to actually look for something to do so you can serve others. Not everyone is like your dad and finds something for you to do whether you want to or not. :) And growing up there were times when I just didn't feel like always serving...and if that makes me a bad person...then there it is...I am human...go figure. When we asked if we had to do something my dad's motto was always..."you don't have to...you get to". My sisters and I have joked about that a lot growing up but now that I am grown I find myself repeating that to myself quite often...and I'm sure if you asked my husband he will let you know that I have repeated this saying to him on more than one occasion...which I'm sure he loves as much as I did when my dad said it to me. :) So now that I am an adult and on my own it seems I am fighting to find a way to serve. And somehow thankfully the Lord has blessed Wes and I and we have found a way to use the abilities the Lord has given us to serve since we have been married. But it seems the last year or so we have been fighting to feel like we are being used to help others...we've prayed that God would please show us what to do. And you know...it's amazing how something can be staring you in the face for so long...but you never see it. There is a couple in the church we had been going to who runs a place called the Eagle's Nest. It is a great ministry that caters to the military...the main focus on single soldiers who have no family and live in the barracks...but all are welcome to come. This older couple have been serving the military and the community for several years and keeping this wonderful "home away from home" open all by themselves for the most part. And sadly Wes and I have known this couple for 2 years...and it was only about a week ago that we actually came to each other with the same idea...maybe they could use some help. It's amazing how God does that. Wes has been gone for several months off and on and we had not talked about it...but God had been dealing with both of us and as soon as I told Wes how I felt like I should see if they could use our help he said God had been dealing with him about the same thing. So we asked them to put us to work any way they needed...and did they ever. :) And what is amazing about it is I have gotten more blessing out of it then probably what I have been putting into it. Yesterday was my first expericne at the DZ (Drop Zone). This is where the soldiers that are jumping from the chinooks land and after they land the Brockmans serve them hot dogs, hamburgers, cookies and sweets, and drinks. Yesterday we were there from 1000 until 600pm for 5th groups reunion jump and served over 700 hot dogs and hamburgers to the soldiers and their families that were out there! It was such a blessing to give back to the soldiers that are giving up so much for us. I was amazed at how much work went into it and realized that this older couple usually do this all by themselves...no complaints! Let me tell you...God dealt with me for not helping sooner...but I can't live in the past...but what I can do is look to the future. I am so excited for what God is going to allow us to do with the Brockmans in the next few months. We have so many new ideas that we are talking about to get the name out there so more people will know about the Eagle's Nest and hopefully bring more people to Jesus, which is our #1 main goal. God is so good to allow our family to serve. Just in the last week we have been so busy but our life has been so much happier. It is so visible...I see the huge difference in Wesley...it's nice to know that we have a new purpose in life! And already I am about to face my first big challenge in this field... Friday pizza night without Ms. Martha. (she is taking her mom up to stay with family for a while) I'll let you know how I survive that! :)

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that you found this ministry - what an awesome opportunity to be a blessing to the troops who do so much for us. I am sure you will do fine with the pizzas (just remember to bring the number for delivery just in case)!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well miss Leila!!! Look at you, a blogging girl!! I'm so excited to read all about your future service and opportunities! You are such a sweetie pie.

    Thanks for following my blog- your background is super cute by the way...

    Blessings girlfriend,
    Sash

    ReplyDelete